Friday, July 18, 2008

Knock Knock

Consciousness gripped me out of the realm of the dead when a loud banging emanated from my door. My eyelids were narrow slits, protecting my eyes from the afternoon sun that illuminated my apartment. I buried my head under a couch cushion hoping the tormenting demon would leave me alone. But alas, the banging at the door would not stop.

“What do you want?” I shouted from the refuge of the afghan blanket that covered me.

The banging continued.

I rolled my eyes as I buried my head deeper behind the couch cushion. “What do you want?!” I shouted even louder than the last time.

The banging continued.

Slowly I dragged myself from the couch. Beer bottles fell in my wake as I advanced towards the door. I had to watch my step to ensure I didn’t fall on one of the displaced bottles. My hand reached for the door, undoing the deadbolt and locking chain, before yanking the door open.

The knocking ended instantly.

“Excuse me sir,” the little girl mumbled. She was obviously startled by the door opening so suddenly. “Could you please turn down your TV? I’m trying to do my homework and it is so distracting.”

“Um, sure…”

I slammed the door in her face, switched the TV off, and dragged myself back to the couch. Sleep had once again become my refuge.

No comments:

Post a Comment