Saturday, July 01, 2006

The .250 Man

"Mike, would you please...put the bat...DOWN!!! Mike? Alright great...great jersey...wonderful, now we need to talk. And I need you to listen, MIKE!!! Would you please PLEASE listen to me, you've got plenty of time to get to the game...Mike?!"
"Eh...Yeah?"
"You know...you...?"
"JESUS...you know I need to get to the game...I...just...ya know...this slump...I really don't need this shit...I'm under enough pressure...goin' on the road and all that..."
She looked up from picking at her fingers, "honey...?"
"I am in a slump...ya know?"
"Honey!"
"WHAT...I can't hit the FUCKING BALL!"
"That is not what I'm talking about at all."
"Well, what are you talkin' about?"
"Mike, you're gonna be goin' away, but does it really matter anyway...? I mean, you're so damn distant, you just...inside...keep it...I'm not going to judge you...maybe our problems..."
"That has nothing to do with it...I can't hit the fucking ball, see there are balls.... and there are strikes...I can't hit either fuckin' one...okay...OKAY...I mean...!?"
She interjected, "What I'm saying is...YOU AND ME...I mean, you're stronger than that...the slump?...Now Mike," she reached over pausing passionately as she clutched his shoulder, "I'm sorry I yelled." She kissed him softly...gently on his lips, “You know I love you...and you know you'll get through this...just...."
He turned his head as she whispered so only he would ever hear, in the slightest whisper, "just take it out on the ball...just...hit it far, way out there... okay?"
"Yeah."

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your comment about Kevin Carter on my blog. What I have been amazed about is the response to that post. More people were concerned about my daily life dramas than about what's happening in the world. More commented about the other little things i post than what really matters. It goes to show what kind of world we are becoming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to tell you I was quite impressed with most of your writing! I will have to come visit again..... Have you ever read T.S. Eliot's "Love Song of J. Alfred..." - I don't know why his stuff came to mind as I read some of yours....

    ReplyDelete